lucas

SPARKY 2 Clone
« on: September 20, 2015, 09:32:34 pm »

lucas

Re: SPARKY 2 Clone
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:35:22 pm »
I see DJI´s Offboard Mags use CAN.  Doesn´t this make the SPARKY 2 an even more interesting target for LP firmware??

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:09:37 am »
I was looking at the Sparky 2.0 today as well but was wondering if anyone has ordered the clone yet and if it has the true specs?

Wagsy

• Rotorpix
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:07:27 am »
Wonder if you boys could code in a unlock for the new Libre GUI.
Any new board, be it clone or genuine have to pay.
Each board must have some kind of unique number hey?
I would be happy to pay a fee no probs.

dezent

• librepilot.org
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:47:03 am »
Any new board, be it clone or genuine have to pay.
Each board must have some kind of unique number hey?
I would be happy to pay a fee no probs.

Pay a fee to who? unlock what?

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 12:27:29 pm »
Doesn't "Unlock" the "Libre GUI" looks like a contraddition for you? :)
The software is totally open and free (look at the GPLv3 license for more info http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html).

Wagsy

• Rotorpix
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 01:23:15 pm »
I meant for all the clone boards coming out from China to use the GUI.
Never mind, just a sudden random thought that popped into my head, back to drinking my bourbon now. :-)

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 02:08:18 pm »
Hi Wagsy,
I've had a few of those moments over the years too, but don't have the luxury of bourbon (or any spirits for that matter) to aid in my creative ideas. Probably a good thing......

From my understanding, the guys here at LibrePilot are the 'real deal' and when they talk about OpenSource, they really mean it. Everything is laid out on the table and there are no lies, deception, manipulation, etc.

These fellas want to build a software platform (GCS) that will eventually work with a range of boards and not just a chosen one. I think the future here is pretty exciting.

Now, back to drinking my green tea!!
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

Wagsy

• Rotorpix
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
Sounds good, looks like that full NAZE 32 board I got can stay in it's package now.
Was about to give up and go to the dark side, but then I found my way here.

Nothing wrong with green tea if you add in the right leaves.

lysie

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 08:11:15 pm »
I see DJI´s Offboard Mags use CAN.  Doesn´t this make the SPARKY 2 an even more interesting target for LP firmware??

Actually the DJI Gps is just a serial communication. It´s a widespread misconception that it´s a can protocol :)

The library was decoded here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1995704
and was since used by some Chinese manufactures to produce some solid working m8n gps + mag combos
discussed here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2393218
It would be fairly easy to integrate this but not sure if it´s "legal". altough there are already some osd projects that utilize this.

but it would be definitely a solid alternative to the unavailable openpilot gps
*sorry for this "shilling" first post :)

hburke

• Flight Test Team
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 09:50:09 pm »
SPARKY 2 is cloned also already:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/tabulabs-sparky-2-0-flight-controller-for-fpv-multicopter-quadcopter.html

So is this a good board? I'm not familiar with it.  :-\

I'm guessing from the other threads that there is a LibrePilot GCS coming out? If I'm correct  about that (sorry I'm new and making a lot of assumptions), will this board be supported in that GCS? Looks like a good deal. Can a clone be trusted though? And again, I'm assuming clones are inferior some how? or are these boards released by the original maker?

And sorry again, but I keep wondering more questions .. if it's a clone then isn't that bad? How can LibrePilot benefit from these boards? I just want to be sure I support the project the right way.

lucas

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 11:56:51 pm »

Actually the DJI Gps is just a serial communication. It´s a widespread misconception that it´s a can protocol :)

Woops seems like I fell for the misconception.

What do you mean by "legal"?  Will it bother DJI? OP?

What´s the point in SPARKY´s CAN?  Do you know what it is originally intended for?

lysie

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 12:15:01 am »
Don´t know if it will bother DJI...
as for the can bus - peadbody/the designer used it so far with a brushless gimbal controller he designed. Theres a design for CAN escs too but dunno much about them.

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 12:52:53 am »
And sorry again, but I keep wondering more questions .. if it's a clone then isn't that bad? How can LibrePilot benefit from these boards? I just want to be sure I support the project the right way.

Hi hburke,
As far as I'm concerned, its far better to ask questions than to sit idle. The only bad question is the one that isn't asked.

In regards to part of your post, which I have quoted here, LibrePilot is not about "benefiting" from different boards - clones or not. This community is all about true open source software that is FREE to everyone. The best way to support LibrePilot is to become involved in any way you can, whether that is participating on the forum, assisting with development, etc, etc. Most importantly, fly safely and have a lot of fun - that's what it's all about - for me anyway.

Clones: Not sure about whether these are 'good' or 'bad'. The only thing (from my experience) with clones is that quality control may be an issue. Maybe someone with a little more experience can chime in here and add more info?
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

mazevx

• Still Learning ...everday
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 10:52:51 pm »
Hello, I'm working with high end elektronic systems wich use can bus and fibreoptics for automobile industrie for 13 years now and Im sure it would be a benefit for every pilot if we could use it, for race copter or camera Flyer or what ever!
If we can use the dji clone GPS/mag modules would be great!

The cloned flight controlers should work fine as most "originals" are made in China to! As already said the quality control might be a problem... Should expect some will be doa...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:58:54 pm by mazevx »