Wagsy

• Rotorpix
REVO GPS V9 Fine Tuning
« on: September 12, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »
Hi guys.

Got my Hex flying pretty good with a GPSV9, but there is some wobble in the wind when it's in RTH or GPS HOLD.
Any ideas on where I should be looking to tune it out.

I fly in Acro+ mode, but when it gets put into RTH, GPS Hold or IOC it's in Atti mode.
Have 6 flight modes set up on the Taranis, Atti, Acro+, Acro+ GPS Hold, IOC and RTH.
Cheers..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:12:40 pm by Wagsy »

xpantz

Re: REVO GPS V9 Fine Tuning
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:01:34 am »
I'm guessing you need to adjust your attitude modes... if it flys well in atti mode it should do better in RTH etc.

You can also use PID banks.  So use bank 2 or 3 for auto modes and retune on those banks.  Keep bank 1 for your fav rate settings.

Wagsy

• Rotorpix
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:12:50 am »
Hi. Got 3 banks set up.
1 is for ATTI and the GPS modes.
It's pretty good on Atti mode itself, just when I flick it into GPS mode it shakes around when there is wind.
Other two are Acro+

Also the arming thing is a pain sometimes.
New location even after letting it sit for a long time.
Pick it up, move it above my head and it still will not arm.

Quickerst way to fix it is to hook it up to the Laptop and start to import the saved UAV file, but don't actually import it... and away it goes.
Be good if we could arm it in a non GPS mode so we can still fly.

DanNT

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:03 am »
Be good if we could arm it in a non GPS mode so we can still fly.

Ant and I suggested something similar in another thread a while back. Its not a simple thing to add, and a few different ways to do it, each with their own potential problems

Wagsy

• Rotorpix
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:17:37 pm »
Well if I could take off in Manual and fly around it would be good.
I am going to go back to https://www.openpilot.org/new-release-15-05-01-hotfix-release/
and see how the arming thing goes with that.

Wagsy

• Rotorpix
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:43:36 am »
Update, set up some external mode LEDS now, they work great.
At first I grabbed the 5V from the RX but the LEDS would not work sometimes.
So now power them from a ESC, I have just one ESC powering the REVO board so had 5 others free.
Its seems to be arming most time now too, sometimes I just have to lift it above my head though.

Another flight with the GPS.
It fly's great in non GPS modes, just got those jitters when the GPS is on to get rid off.
In GPS mode it uses the ATTI bank, ATTI fly's really nice by itself so it must be in the settings somewhere.

Wagsy

• Rotorpix
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 02:12:55 pm »
Okay, after trying to get a really good mag calibration, I found an old Bluetooth laying around.
All set up now plus added in two external status leds which work really nice.
See how good I can get A MAG cal now.

jerzkoh

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:06:11 pm »
Hi Wagsy!

Thank you for this wonderful post! a couple of us here wants to fly LR and looking for a familiar FC for GPS RTH options.

So far we toyed with the idea of a Naza M Lite, Naze32 Full, EagleTree Vector but after looking at your videos and posting on the GPS RTH it pretty much confirms our (my) choice of sticking with OP as we are flying Atoms!

Keep up the fine tuning Wagsy!

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:10:20 pm »
You probably already knew that LP/OP does not support Atom (CC3D) for RTH / RTB.

jerzkoh

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 02:54:40 am »
Yap TheOtherCliff!

We are looking at the OP Revo  :D

We like the "lock-in" feel of the atom and we assume that we can do that on the Revo too?

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 05:29:06 am »
That's the idea.  :)

When you are using a GPS, I think most people would recommend that you have Attitude or Rattitude on one position (take-off, GPS failure, etc.), RTB is nice on the last position (beware that the current version flies sideways the instant you engage it), and whatever else you want on the other positions.  I have VelocityRoam on mine, but a lot of people like Acro+, especially for FPV.

jerzkoh

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 06:49:24 am »
Sideways?!  :o

Actually it doesn't matter how it flies as long as we flick the RTB fx it comes back roughly to us and we will take it from there with Ratti.

I think for LR and a slightly larger rig I don't really want to go on Acro+ .. least something falls out in mid air  ;D

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 07:26:50 am »
Yea.  Instead of climbing straight up for a ways and then travelling horizontally toward a location above Base (different from Home in our terms), it travels straight toward Base + 10 meters higher.  The 10 is configurable.  If you are any distance away at all it will seem that it is starts off straight sideways when returning to Base.

There is a tracking open to make it climb straight up 10 meters, fly to a point 10 meters above Base and then land coming straight down.  Again the 10 meters and some other stuff is configurable.

The default for Base is where ever you armed it last, but it can be set to a fixed location or set to where you first arm it on that battery.