Re: Revo / GPS V8 Lockups PH and VR Flight modes
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 12:48:36 am »
I give up. I've removed the Revo from the Quad, and followed all the steps in the link above. I do not even get the I2C port being recognized now. I've got it powered up externally, using a UBEC, and am plugging that in first powering up Sparky2, and then the USB. It gets 15 Sats, but still no luck at all with the compass. (No I2C) I complained to Banggood about this. Possibly they will get back to me with a fix (or replacement). Can anyone suggest another GPS/Compass that I may try?

hwh

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 02:11:23 am »
...Can anyone suggest another GPS/Compass that I may try?

I'd recommend the DJI Naza gps lite or one of it's clones.  The actual Naza ones run about $80+ US where the clones are $30 US.

Something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-M8N-GPS-Compass-Support-DJI-Naza-M-V2-Lite-Flight-Controller-Compatible-se-/391264063169?hash=item5b1927cec1:g:uxYAAOSwQTVV-i0i for a clone on eBay.   They're also available on the Chinese sites.

You still have to change the connector to plug it into the FC but there's only one 4 pin cable and both gps and mag data go through it.  It's the closest thing available to the no longer made gps v9.   It still requires the next branch of software (or release 16 when it comes out) but there's no I2C and all the problems getting it to work are gone.  Mount it on a pole, plug it in and set the port to naza protocol instead of ubx.  And of course, run the calibration but it should go much smoother when you're not fighting to get the I2C to work.  And these only take up one port instead of the two the I2C ones need.  That leaves a port for an OSD if you ever want one.

-Hank

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 04:41:11 pm »
Do you think this one will be any better? It is what Banggod has offered to replace it with. I'm thinking it's the same thing just with the wires pre-installed.

If not I will just order the one you suggested from eBay.
http://www.banggood.com/Ublox-M8N-GPS-Module-For-PX4PIX4-APM2_62_8-Mini-APM-Built-in-Compass-p-960564.html

hwh

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 05:01:22 pm »
It does look like the same thing with the wires already attached.  If they're willing to give it to you I'd take it if they won't refund you but if they are willing to refund I'd take the refund.  You're better off with the Naza style GPS because it uses a single connector and doesn't rely on I2C.  Other than changing the connector they usually just plug in and work after calibration.