Problem with the INS13 Algorithm or the Magnetometer?
« on: April 02, 2016, 03:04:03 am »
I don't know if anyone can help me out, but I have a problem with my Revo. I set up everything using a mini ublox neo-6m and I calibrated all of the sensors minus the temp. If I use the Basic algorithm everything is stable, but when I switch it to the INS13 algorithm, the quad starts going crazy. Even when placed on a flat surface the GCS is showing that the quad is pitching up and down / rolling left and right slightly. I want to be able to use the GPS flight modes. What should I do?

Mateusz

Re: Problem with the INS13 Algorithm or the Magnetometer?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:01:36 am »
Usually people have problem with magnetometer (especially internal one) as it used both for heading and up or down orientation and not only must be calibrated properly but also far from magnetic interference.

Reading the following two links pays off
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=15.msg43#msg43
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Aux+Mag+Setup+and+Calibration

I trust you will read it, so here is what could go wrong as additional information. If you see oscillations in AttitudeScopes it's EKF (INS31) disagreeing probably because of contradicting measurements.
This could be badly calibrated sensor, or magnetic interference or auxmag not rotated to match other sensors. Some GPS with Mag have magnetometer located differently, hence setting proper rotation for it in GCS is required. Another reason could be that you are not getting stable (always green) lock or using INS31 sensor fusion algorithm indoors. Any time it jumps to orange (or worst red) indicates that it wont fly in INS31.

P.S There is no such thing as "Revo" it's either CC3D or Revolution board. Those are two different products.

hwh

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:22:31 am »
...the quad starts going crazy. Even when placed on a flat surface the GCS is showing that the quad is pitching up and down / rolling left and right slightly...

Depending on what you call "crazy" and "slightly" this may be normal operation.  In the gps modes the PFD ball isn't completely still, it normally twitches a little in all directions. Maybe five or ten degrees?

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 07:37:17 am »
This could be badly calibrated sensor, or magnetic interference or auxmag not rotated to match other sensors.

I've been trying to figure out if the GPS that I bought has a mag. It says it has a compass but I'm not sure if it is a mag. I google searched GPS/mag and I get a bunch of GPS's that have compasses so it's possible it has a mag?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__89565__Mini_Ublox_Neo_6M_GPS_for_CC3D_Revolution_Flight_Controller_w_Built_in_Compass.html

That's the GPS that I bought. When I try to tell the GCS to use an auxmag only, the mag stays green, attitude and stabilization stay red.

And I did not know that I had to make the gps face the same way as the other sensors, but do I have to set the direction of the auxmag in the GCS?

I haven't had time to read those two articles that you mentioned but I will do so in the morning. Thank you so much for helping!

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 08:11:23 am »
...the quad starts going crazy. Even when placed on a flat surface the GCS is showing that the quad is pitching up and down / rolling left and right slightly...

Depending on what you call "crazy" and "slightly" this may be normal operation.  In the gps modes the PFD ball isn't completely still, it normally twitches a little in all directions. Maybe five or ten degrees?

Everything is oscillating about 5-10 degrees sometimes, other times it's worse, but even when it is 5-10 degrees, it is still very hard to fly. Is that normal?