elrond

ESC Calibration Issue? Affected stability?
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:57:33 pm »
Hi

I've troubles to get my quad to hover. So far
have mounted open cc3d, esc, receiver, soldering etc. and wanted to do some basic hovering but my quad constantly flips over and i do not know why?

I've got CW CCW
            CCW CW - quad X config

Where CW are R (pusher) props

Can ESC be a problem ? (see screenshot) - i can't calibrate them under one close value so difference is about 150 units

Also can ESC placement near cc3d board be an issue? (esc are in front of cc3d board and on top of it there is pdb)

Quad parts: PFG frame (salvage from eox frame), opencc3d, dys1306 motors and Emax Simonk Series 12A)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:07:07 pm by elrond »

Re: ESC Calibration Issue? Affected stability?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:20:27 pm »
Hi!

Could you please elaborate a bit what you mean by "constantly flips over"? Can you take off and hover? Or it flips over right after you try to take off? I have never seen/heard of such behavior because of bad ESC calibration.
Are you confident that ESCs are connected to FC in the right order? For LibrePilot FW this order may be different than in for other flight controllers/firmware. Please check that as well. (Most likely this is not the case but we have to exclude this from our suspects 8))

Regards,
-K.

Mateusz

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 05:53:27 pm »
  • Take off propellers
  • Follow vehicle wizard and calibrate neutral point of each motor separately. Do they spin in the right order and direction ? You can use small pice of paper to see in what direction motor spins when you move slider to neutral point. Don't spin them too fast (Remember propellers taken off!)

Vehicle wizard first calibrates ESCs, then it guides you through finding neutral point of each motor. Once you are sure all motors spin in the right direction, check if you have correct propellers on them forward and reverse.

elrond

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 09:31:46 pm »
It is my second build with open cc3d (the first was success - i could hover at first time) so i've done vehicle wizzard many times.

Main issue is that when i want to test hover when i add more throttle quad is flipping backwards (through one arm).

What i did:
- always take off propellers
- before connecting open cc3d, i've tested motor connections with servo tester to ensure proper wires to be soldered
- gone step by step through motor wizard (so when calibrating esc it coressponed schema:
 motor1 motor2
 motor4 motor3

where 1 and 3 are CW and 2 and 4 CCW

elrond

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:09:27 pm »
It flips like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiCf13OsTbE&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

I've run vehicle wizzard again, checked motor rotation adn layout used 3 kinds of props and still can not hover ...

@marc

• Ask me about LibrePilot2Go on Android.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 10:26:53 pm »
It looks as if the back-right motor spins with another speed than the others. If you play the video on 0.25x speed you can quite clearly see that. Could be ESC or motor.

Can you swap this motor with the front-right (so you don't need to resolder) and check if it flips the same, or to the front?

elrond

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:31:58 pm »
Back right - did you mean number 4 ? I would need to change arms.  (swamping the same rotation so no need to change esc inputs in open cc3d)?

@marc

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 10:39:18 pm »
This one:

As you say, you can swap with the other "same direction" motor to minimize effort and change the ESC input at the FC.

elrond

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:38 pm »
Looks i can not do that without resoldering. Check motor neutral position (screenshot)

For motor 1 it is higher than the others - is it normal or should they be more close to each other?

Could it be ESC ? I ve had similar situation with those esc on my zmr250 with dys1806

@marc

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 07:38:39 am »
I'd really recommend changing that motor or ESC (or both in succession) with a new one or another to check if it is a hardware issue.

Of course that's a guess, but I don't see any other options here.

elrond

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 10:41:18 am »
I 've already changed ESC - and it did not help for fliping, only aligned neutral motor position colser to the rest

ernstock

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 09:36:35 pm »
Board position rotated but not entered as such on attitude page of GCS ?
Or vice versa.
(Only mention it as If I forget to modify board position on my craft that need it , they do a similar flip)

elrond

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 09:27:24 pm »
indeed i've changed board position to have better access to usb, but remebered to input it in GCS / LibrePilot (-90)