Dicara

Voltage for OP Gps
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:56:19 am »
Hi,

Does anyone know the Voltage the OpenPilot GPS Module requires?
Its connected to my Revo Board which i'm supplying with 5v, but i am unable to get the two to talk.
i quick google says that the Ublox 7 chip which is what HK says is in this, says that it has a max voltage of 3.6v,
so i think i may have released the magic smoke :(

Re: Voltage for OP Gps
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:10:08 pm »
Official OpenPilot GPS modules have onboard voltage regulators to knock voltage down to 3,3V that is needed by the Ublox module.

Most GPS modules that HobbyKing sells should also have voltage regulators on them, so 5V should be the correct voltage to power them.

Maybe you have the RX and TX pins swapped...?

hwh

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:52:05 pm »
The gps the HK sells as "OP GPS" has nothing to do with OpenPilot other than they put a compatible connector on it.  It's a tiny gps with no mag sensor.  While some GPS units will work indoors, because of it's tiny size antenna it will almost never get a lock indoors and it sometimes takes 15 minutes outdoors because it has no flash memory to remember settings.

The most common problem people have with getting the GPS recognized is trying to use them with power only from USB. The USB doesn't provide power to the other revo connectors.  In a normal copter setup it requires the battery hooked up too. The battery should be hooked up before the USB connector since the revo only looks for the GPS at startup.

The settings for this GPS are the standard ublox ones, set the port it's plugged into to GPS/57600/UBX.

If none of this helps tell us a little more about what you mean by "unable to get the two to talk."  What is the GPS status in the System Health Display, red, black, X?  How about on the system tab on the right?

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:42:28 am »
How are you supplying the 5V?

Dicara

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 04:34:18 pm »
Hi, Thanks for the replys.

i've sort of fixed it as it was a faulty gps module so i ordered a new one which worked first time.
for the faulty one,i tried swapping the tx/rx no luck. i even dug out my oscilloscope but i was getting no data from the module at all. i even opened up the faulty module to check the soldering or loose connections, which was ok, but i broke the case for it doing this as it is hot glued as well as screwed together.

but the new one worked first time, and i just had my maiden flight :D i had a few issues/questions but il post those in a new thread in the right part of the forum, but i did get 4x 8.5/9 mins flights out of it :D

Dicara

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 04:15:16 pm »
Hi,

i've done a bit of searching feabay and found this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ublox-NEO-M8N-GPS-Compass-with-shell-for-PIX-PX4-Pixhawk-Flight-Controller-UK-/252111344885?hash=item3ab301d4f5:g:JbQAAOSwQTVV-osy

Would this work as a better gps/compass? its got the 2x connecters and i've found the pinouts for the gps - serials and the i2c for the compass.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 04:22:38 pm »
Same GPS/AuxMag used here, works fine:

Dicara

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:59:11 pm »
Cool, I've just ordered it so il give it a try and see how it goes. :) Thanks