techcoast

• Building them faster one frame at a time
Motor Tilt
« on: March 23, 2016, 10:12:32 pm »
Hey gang, I have a prototype that I've been developing but I need a little help. I want to tilt my motors but I hear that the bird will get unstable. Should I artificially tilt the FC to compensate? What has been your experiences with tilting your motors?

Re: Motor Tilt
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:49:52 pm »
It will not be unstable.. I have a frame like this..

now I use TX to mix the servo tilt and disable the pitch channel basically..

PM me if you have questions..

google "STR" quad should fine my videos..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:04:27 pm by myrcbuild »

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:05:02 pm »

Did edit..

your copter can fly just fine. few out already that do this.

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »
I do use tilted motors

• GCS->Configuration->Attitude->Rotate virtual attitude relative to board. I think I had to use  -15.0 on pitch to allow racer to hover instead of rushing forward. It will rush forward on lift-off though.
  • If you have exotic racer that uses AuxMag and tilted motors and you changed virtual board you must also adjust AugMag orientation (explained on wiki https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Aux+Mag+Setup+and+Calibration). I had to do that, since I use AuxMag.

Otherwise no issues, it flies very nice. Just test what pitch value works for you best. I think -14.5 was a bit better for me than -15 :) Even though 3D printed mounts are suppose to be 15 deg.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:42:55 pm »

:-) .. haha  when I heard tilt..  I kept thinking like my STR frame..  where I can adjust tilt in flight..

But yeah.. even static tilt on the motors ..   hoverthings has some part for that.. and command you can run to adjust the board to compensate at a hover..

Mateusz

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:20:33 pm »
now I use TX to mix the servo tilt and disable the pitch channel basically..

Interesting :) So mixing pitch + servo for tilting and using both at the same time was a bad idea ? :) Just curious :)