Computer can't find Revo
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:29:01 pm »
Hello everybody,
I'm building a quad with Hobby King components, and everything has seemed to go OK except for one bad Afro Slim 20A ESC, soon to be replaced.  However, my computer (running Windows 10) can't seem to find my Open Pilot Revo flight control board.  I've downloaded Librepilot (twice), connected the board via a USB cable, and attempted to use the Wizard.  When the board is connected, a red LED adjacent to the RCIN port illuminates, and a blue LED next to the USB port lights up for about 10 seconds, followed by a red alternating with the blue for a couple of cycles, followed by a few seconds of rapidly alternating red and blue blinking, followed by blue and red LED alternating blinking at about 1 sec intervals.
When I run the Wizard, it suggests I upgrade the firmware, which times out after 10 seconds of trying to find the board.  The next screen (Board Identification) fails since the board isn't detected. 
Any suggestions?
Thanks

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Computer can't find Revo
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:07:58 am »
Try manual update ?
Go to firmware tab:
- Disconnect board
- Hit Upgrade&Erase button
- Connect board
- Wait until reboot

Check if you have a driver issue:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Troubleshooting

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:07:40 pm »
I'm having the same issues. It won't even let me choose the option of usb. Any suggestions.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:55 pm »
Do you try the above ?

If the issue still, maybe your Revo is bricked, try this thread:
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=208.0

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 02:42:19 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, no joy on getting my computer and Revo to talk to each other.
I've tried the manual update procedure, no change.
I've tried to resolve the driver question by following the driver troubleshooting procedure.
Device Manager reports that my USB Composite Device is "working properly" on Port_#0003.Hub_#0003.  It's a Microsoft driver version 10.0.10240.16384 dated 6/21/2006.  Following the troubleshooting procedure you referenced, I uninstalled the driver, rebooted the computer, and reconnected the Revo, with the same result.  Device Manager reports that the same driver is still "working properly" at the same location.
The rebricking procedure looks like it's WAY over my head, especially since I'm a relic of the balsa wood and glow fuel era of aeromodelling.
I may be better off getting a simpler FC board that doesn't require a computer interface until I learn more about this multirotor thing..........

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:51:32 pm »
I had the EXACT same problem. After days of trying to figure out if I had driver problems, usb problems, or Revo hardware problems, I downloaded the resurrection software.

fw_revolution_resurrect2-1509.opfw

Then I used the rescue procedure and flashed it to my Revo.... Viola it has worked perfectly since then :) :) :) :) :) :) I didn't even short out the bootloader pads as described in the unbricking procedure. Try it ... It worked for one confused Revo owner, why not two??? ::)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:56:36 pm by ronncat »

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 03:08:45 am »
Still no communication between the computer and Revo board.
It may be that the cable I'm using doesn't have all the necessary connections.  The only one I have that has a compatible plug is a charging cable for a bicycle tail light.  It may have plus and minus to charge the battery in the light, but no data connection.
Does the LED sequence on the Hobby King Revo board indicate any data exchange, or just that it's powered up?

hwh

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 03:38:04 am »
The led blink patterns you described in the first post are normal for the board if it's powered up.  It would blink the same if you hooked power up to the servo connectors without usb connected.  There's no blinking transmit/receive or usb connected led.

You may be right about the cable only having power wires in it, I have several that came with those emergency "charge your phone" battery packs that are like that.  I'd find another cable and try it.  The cables are the same as come with many cell phones, if you don't have one a friend or relative probably does.

edit:  I just re-read all of your posts above.   If you can see the board in device manager the cable has to have all 4 wires.  When you're looking at the device manager and unplug the board does the device you're looking at go away?  If it does then you are looking at the right device, if not then it's not the right device.  If it goes away the cable could still be bad but it must have all the wires.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:58:03 am by hwh »

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 01:22:27 pm »
Insofar as these old eyes (with the help of a very bright light and magnifying glass) can tell, the cable I've been using has only two wires in the micro usb b connector end that I've been plugging into the board, and my cell phone charge cord looks the same. 
It's embarrassing (albeit educational) to have flailed around with all the other efforts when the ancient axiom "It's the cable, stupid" seems to apply in this case as it has in data communication for decades.
I'll have to scrounge around for a cable that has a fully populated micro usb b connector..........

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 02:25:35 pm »
My wife's old Kindle connector works.  Now all I have to do is wait for the replacement arrives for the flaky ESC that (doesn't) control one of my motors.