Jhinta

Re: Revo AuxMag
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2016, 09:49:51 pm »
 ??? witch chipset is used by openpilot for the gps? that its using only 4 wires? witch protocal?

Jhinta

« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2016, 09:52:35 pm »
Using build 15.09+r616-g4ada670. Followed setup instructions in link in above post.  When I set the Flexi port to i2c GCS reports no GPS in system page and Aux mag not found in the attitude<magnetometer tab. If I set Flexiport to GPS the GPS works but of course no AuxMag detected.

Now I may be causing myself problems, I am testing this on a spare Revo board with no receiver or ESCs connected. Didn't want to test on a quad first.   Could this be causing the problem? Doesn't seem related BUT?  Using 5v BEC and M8N Ublox GPS with magnetometer .

I just saw a comment that this GPS + Mag may not be one that works with Next? Only 1 four pin connector but listing on Amazon says for Revo.  (Probably just means the connector fits and GPS works - gotya)

mannn you still dont get it
4 wire for the gps
open up your gps you will see there is a 6 pin port were 2 are not used
that is your 2 wires mag

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »
??? witch chipset is used by openpilot for the gps? that its using only 4 wires? witch protocal?

OP GPSv9 uses a small cpu (stm32f031), get data from GPS and mag chip.
Next data is sent over one serial line to Revo using the same ublox protocol and one special ublox packet for mag data.

Jhinta

« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2016, 10:05:44 pm »
 :-[ i want one,  :P :P :P :P :P free port  :P :P :P :P anyinfo how to get one , as i read they are hard to get

Roypw

« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2016, 10:06:35 pm »
Only if you have a GPS Platinum (aka V9) or a DJI Naza GPS or it's clone.   All others require two ports.

Listing on Amazon says Ublox M8N comparable with DJI Naza V1 or V2 lite flight controller? Will it work? Sorry to be such a bother but this is complex for us new guys.

Roypw

« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2016, 10:15:47 pm »

4 wire for the gps
that is your 2 wires mag
[/quote]

Then why do I see post above says DJI works with one 4 pin, and why does referenced setup say only use Flexi port. Sorry but there is a lot of stuff thrown around and it's hard to figure out a straight answer.

So I guess the answer is if I want to use the GPS I have (and no one has addressed this specific one for me) then I have to solder on 2 wires with 4 pin connector and use both the main and Flexi ports?

Jhinta

« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2016, 10:25:34 pm »

4 wire for the gps
that is your 2 wires mag

Then why do I see post above says DJI works with one 4 pin, and why does referenced setup say only use Flexi port. Sorry but there is a lot of stuff thrown around and it's hard to figure out a straight answer.

So I guess the answer is if I want to use the GPS I have (and no one has addressed this specific one for me) then I have to solder on 2 wires with 4 pin connector and use both the main and Flexi ports?
[/quote]

read 3 post above you -> thats wy
and you simply need the normal cable for your gps
and add two wires to 6pins header for i2c so in total you have 6 wire, and thats already posted also .

So yes ,, you can solder 2 wires and have a 4pin header for gps and a 2 on 4 header for i2c ---- or just add 2 wires to the header if you have them no solder needed just some handy work.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:44:18 pm by Jhinta »

hwh

« Reply #232 on: May 10, 2016, 10:30:52 pm »
Sellers lie or a least stretch the truth a lot.   :(

Post a link to a particular gps on Amazon and we might be able to tell you if it will work.  I really need a picture of the inside like the eBay clone auction below shows to be sure.

There are three protocols we're talking about here, Ublox, the OpenPilot extension to Ublox (only on GPS Platinum V9), and the DJI Naza GPS protocol.  Ublox by itself only carries GPS on a single connector, the other two combine GPS and Mag on the same connector.  The OpenPilot Platinum is no longer made so the only real choice for a one connector gps/mag is the Naza one.  They always have the wrong connector for us and you have to cut the connector off and splice on the correct one.

This is an eBay auction for the real, not clone one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-NAZA-M-Lite-GPS-Compass-module-only-US-dealer-/201557456216?hash=item2eedc2b558:g:PfoAAOSw~bFWM7aU

and this is one of the clones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-M8N-GPS-Compass-for-DJI-Naza-M-V2-Lite-Flight-Controller-Compatible-/141849336411?hash=item2106e11a5b:g:XRUAAOSwbdpWaUFW

Both will work with only one connector but require you to replace the connector on the cable.  Most people just splice on a pre-made cable that's available on both eBay and Amazon.

hwh

« Reply #233 on: May 10, 2016, 10:37:44 pm »
The pre-made cables I'm talking about are:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-JST-SH-1-0mm-4-Pin-Connector-plug-with-Wire-x-20-sets-/151991706931?hash=item2363696533:g:53sAAOSwaZdXHxd8

or

when you purchased the revo it probably came with a bunch of short cables, you may be able to cut the end off one of them and splice it onto the cable on the gps.

You can't actually put the connectors directly onto the gps cable because the wire is too big for the connector.   And the connector pins are really, really tiny and hard to put on even with the correct 0.8 mm OD wire.  :(

« Reply #234 on: May 10, 2016, 11:41:44 pm »
I've a problem with m8n gps with compass and separate pin with sda and scl wires connect to flexiport but i2c is always orange and not recognized from lp....i've used a next branch r630  but magnetometer tab show auxmag not found.
All is connectes any help?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #235 on: May 10, 2016, 11:59:15 pm »
Using I2c, the board should be always powered first with external power (battery/5V) and next connect Usb.

If you connect Usb first the auxMag is not powered and i2c cannot initialize.

« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:45 am »
After boot of fc i connect it to lp but i2c is always orange...

Jhinta

« Reply #237 on: May 11, 2016, 12:25:44 am »
After boot of fc i connect it to lp but i2c is always orange...
Dead you read this form fully?
Because if you did you know what you could have done to have it working

Anyway i have the same gps. If you cant get it green you need delay firmware.
How why where -> read, its all on the forum

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D855 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:32:56 am by Jhinta »

Roypw

« Reply #238 on: May 11, 2016, 12:53:23 am »
Thanks hwh, that is really good info and in a form that us that are just digging into GPS/Mags can understand. I really appreciate responses like this, most responses are only understood by people that already know the answer.  Because of your 2 responses above I now feel I understand what is going on and can move forward.

I don't mind a little soldering, I have a station, and I have the 4 pin connectors with wires in the pins that are long enough that I can solder probably right on the GPS board.

Thanks so much,

rsk

« Reply #239 on: May 11, 2016, 01:20:08 am »
I am assuming that your GPS+MAG is a DJI NAZA compatible unitl. If that is the case, the unit encodes the GPS and MAG information on the same serial data stream. In order to have the Revo decode it, you have to configure it as follows:

- Configuration/Hardware/Main Port or Flexi Port = GPS
- Configuration/Attitude/Magnetometer/Mag type = DJI

Cheers