Sumpy

EasyTune w/ single knob (slider)?
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:53:00 pm »
Hi everyone.

I've been looking into LibrePilot's EasyTune feature, but all of the documentation I can find seems to state that I'll need two knobs or sliders to utilize it. I currently fly with a Spektrum DX8 with a single knob.

Can I still use EasyTune with this radio?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: EasyTune w/ single knob (slider)?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:30:39 pm »
yes, you can use only one knob.

Like start tuning the Roll axis and next change TxPid and tune the Pitch axis.

Sumpy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 02:44:22 am »
Awesome! Thank you, f5soh!

I was able to get it to work, and I'm assuming I got it right. I chose the EasyTunePitch from the drop down, assigned it to Accessory1, and set up some minimum and maximum values. They changed as I rotated the knob. Seemed to work in-flight while in rate mode, as I took it right up to oscillation, and tweaked on it until it felt right. Brought it back in, saved, and then switched everything over to EasyTuneRoll. Repeated the same process in-flight, saved from LibrePilot.

Interestingly enough, the values I got were nearly identical for both pitch and roll (like within a few percentage points of each other).

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:12:24 am »
What frame do you use ?

Sumpy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 12:12:54 pm »
It's a Jinx180 3D printed frame. I printed the center sections out of ABS, and the arms out of nylon alloy.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 06:15:07 pm »
Nice setup :)

Sumpy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 06:19:57 pm »
Appreciate it! The design can be found over on Thingiverse. It was designed by 'antpgomes'.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1136965

I had to modify a few things in TinkerCAD to accommodate my equipment, but overall it was a smooth build.

jtrout19

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 04:45:24 am »
I am going to have to try this. I have more pots for use but not enough available channels to use them. I need to upgrade my RX to something PPM. What min-max values did you start off with?

Sumpy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 07:08:41 pm »
I honestly don't remember. It was flying OK with the default values that LibrePilot put in. I think I took those, and went down a little for the min and up some for the max. I don't know if I got them where I should have, as the upper range I put in was too high (not flyable when the pot was turned way up).

But this method of tuning certainly works well. My quads have never felt so dialed in before.