GPS V9 Mag Usage
« on: March 16, 2016, 04:35:54 am »
Hi folks,

First time posting here on Libre Pilot, but a long time poster/follower/etc. from the other side! Lol (Been lurking here for quite some time though and love what you guys are doing.)

Anyway, just thought I'd take a quick moment to query when it might be that the next iteration of the software will be available.  I'm running 15.9 but see in the wiki that this version does not support aux mag.  Unfortunately, I need that mode capable of supporting the GPS V9 aux mag as the location of the flight controller (Revo) is not conducive to running the on-board mags due to proximity to a motor.  This is in a custom build I am doing of a Huey replica.  So it is a heli not a quad.  In any case, I've extended the GPS module away from the magnetic sources so am hoping to be able to use that mag source instead.

Any idea of an approximate time-frame for release of the next build?  I do not currently have sufficient time to get up to speed on setting up a build environment and creating a build of the "next" branch or I would try that.

Hopefully soon, but no hurries as I'm still in a long build process on the airframe but I'd like to know that it will be an option in the near future.

Thanks,

Highspeed

hwh

Re: GPS V9 Mag Usage
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:44:27 am »
The GPS v9's mag has been supported as long as they've been made not only in LibrePilot but also in the earlier OpenPilot.

Are you sure you have a GPS v9?  It should look like this:

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 06:25:42 am »
Yep, that's the one.  I've had it working with OP, but have not really tried on LP yet as I saw in the WIKI that is was not supported until next release.

So if it's working in the current version, I should be able to get it working.  I've just been going through a major move and have not had a chance to dig out my hobby boxes yet.  Once I have that out, I should be able to get it going then.

Thanks for the quick response.

Highspeed

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 10:23:14 am »
GPSv9 is supported since 14.10 release
You can also found this GPS on Wizard.

Welcome,
Laurent

carbo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 06:41:34 pm »
Just coming back from the field; have flown Revo+GPS v9 with AuxMagSettings.Usage=both on LP 15.09.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:57:23 pm »
GPSv9 is supported since 14.10 release
You can also found this GPS on Wizard.

Welcome,
Laurent

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Yes, I had been using the GPS V9 on previous versions of OP.  It's just not clear on the WIKI that this is still working as it says that AuxMag is not supported until the next release.  I understand now that this refers to the I2C type mags but that the V9 is supported in the current release.  Thanks again for all the quick responses.

Highspeed

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »
Please, tell me where you see the auxmag from GPSv9 is not supported ?

Link ?

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 02:05:18 am »
It doesn't specifically state the GPS V9, but on this page:

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Aux+Mag+Setup+and+Calibration

The first line under "Important General Information.  Please read it carefully at least once." states:

- Aux mag is not available in LP 15.09.  It is scheduled to be included in the next release and is already merged into 'next' if you can build it yourself.

So it is somewhat confusing.  The rest of the page seems to discuss I2C devices but I cannot find any information specific to the V9/UBX protocol.

I believe I can recall enough to get it going however.  It just threw me the way that section of the WIKI is worded.

Highspeed

hwh

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 02:35:41 am »
Config is easy, on the port you connect it to set type to GPS, the baud rate to 57600, and protocol to UBX.  Unless you've gone in and turned off aux mag it should come up.  The revo automatically configures the gps as it boots up.

You still have to go through the mag and other sensor calibrations https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Sensor+calibration

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 11:42:21 pm »
So I was still having trouble getting the MAG status anything other than black.  It seems I forgot you need to have GPS (INS13) selected to even turn that on.  Once I did that it is now red and I can calibrate it.  Everything should be fine now.

Thanks again guys for the support and input.  I am truly blessed that the LP has stepped in to continue where OP left off.  And it seems all the good people I've interacted with over there are still around in here now, too.

Highspeed