Newbie build. Tarot 250 robocat with Revolution Mini.
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:56:53 pm »
Hi all!

Son (20 years)and I are building first quads together. Being xxxx.. years I was involved in RC, and my son has never done it. I think we are going to have more questions than I can imagine right now. Last time I was involved in electronics. I worked in an avionics repairshop. But again..20 years ago.. LOL
So, I think this is the correct place to get good support. Have looked at painless 360 videos on youtube. Very, very good! But naturally, Im going to have specific thoughts about ouer set up and configuration. My son is not tecnicaly minded. So I build, try, failures. Reworks and hopfully get it right. And he just copies.. :)

Set up so far:
Tarot Robocat 250 frames.
DYS 1804 engines
DYS SN 16A opto ECS
5030 props
Turnigy nano 3s lipos
Revolution Mini FC. One have both GPS and telemetry. The other have GPS (ublox 7 that comes with it)
Also got a pitot kit. But mostly of my qriousity.. Will probably install it ltr..
Son is using Turnigy 9x transmitter and reciver.
I will use Turnigy i10 transmitter and reciver.
Micro minmosd (when it will be delivered..)
Tarot fpv cam and eachine 200w 40ch vtx.

Oh! Ofcoarse we are using Libre Pilot GCS!!
If Ive placed this in the worong form or section. Moderators are free to move to the correct section.

Best regards from Sweden!
A good landing is when you can walk away. A really good one. Is when you can use it again!

Re: Newbie build. Tarot 250 robocat with Revolution Mini.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:04:39 pm »
No problem. Welcome,  The experts here write the code and make Libre pilot the success it is.  Now that open pilot is gone and the developers and coders are continually upgrading and developing Libre pilot, it's going to be awesome moving forward(not that it isn't now). I'm no expert but I know a little. Ask any questions you have and I'm sure people will help any way they can. Greetings from America
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:08:48 pm by NicholasDavid »
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:13:53 pm »
Some follow up.
I have installed LP and managed to connect the FC to GCS. All looks good so far.
Now im working out how and where to place all components on the frame.

Have got two BEC. One of these.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__77546__HKPilot_Power_Module_with_T_Connectors_and_6_Pin_150mm_Cable_EU_Warehouse_.html

Thinking this is a nice one. Have 5v regulator only. But I think it can connect up to Revo. And submit both voltage and amps to the osd. But, it didnt come with any chematic or pinout information at all..
Also have a basic BEC that regulates both 5v and 12 volts. But since it 9x radio dosent have telemetry. voltage alarm is impossible. Much simpler install though.. Hmm..
Any good suggestions?

Worried abot loosing the quads i high grass or something. I ordered buzzers.
Got these. But they are supposed to sit between servos. dont have any servos.. lol
Think the function (if it works) are good. It will beep when tx signal is lost. Or the reciver voltage drops.
Anyonewho has used these?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31443__Turnigy_Be_Found_Lost_Model_Beeper_EU_Warehouse_.html
A good landing is when you can walk away. A really good one. Is when you can use it again!

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:24:48 pm »
No problem. Welcome,  The experts here write the code and make Libre pilot the success it is.  Now that open pilot is gone and the developers and coders are continually upgrading and developing Libre pilot, it's going to be awesome moving forward(not that it isn't now). I'm no expert but I know a little. Ask any questions you have and I'm sure people will help any way they can. Greetings from America
Thank you sir!  :)

When I discovered quads and fpv. I got really exited. Almost as a child.. lol
All this new tech is very intresting and inspiring. Hve visited a few rc fields over the years. But never got the spark enough to actually start again.
But this woke my intrest like fireworks going off in the living room!
Cant wait to get airborne. Hopfully at least at testfly this weekend.

Frameis basicly together. Engines and ecs is fitted. Going to install BEC. So I can connect FC and transmitter.
Then I think next step will be basic set up in GCS?
Or is it something more that is good to install first.
Im eager to move forward. But me being me. It has to be done in the best way.
Thats why I try to ask first and once..
Hopefully Iwont have asmoke out.. lol

cato

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 09:32:25 pm »
Hehe, looks like another multicopter adict in the making :)

Well, let me mind check:
frame build
PDB installed
FC board installed
ESCs and motors connected.
checked that CW and CCW motors are installed at the correct positions
motor rotation directions checked and corrected
motors connected to FC
receiver connected to FC

Then it should be ready to setup the FC.
Next would be, connect FC through USB and go through vehicle setup wizard. Careful to have all propellers removed, as motors will spin up at some point and can cause injury. Finally, transmitter setup wizard and it should be ready for a first test flight.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:45:07 pm »
Yup!
Im hooked!  ;D

Im currently trying to figure out the best way to install bec. have 2 variants.
Then I think its time for set up in libre pilot. Was under the impression that
i had to bind and set up (basic) tx and reciver first.

Having read about all pitfalls of setting up FC´s. im bit cautios about that.
For sure I will do it very carefully.

Cant wait to the summer... :)

cato

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:14:26 pm »
Actually, the i10 receiver should already be bound to the packaged receiver, according to the manual :)
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 09:12:24 pm »
Another question. Little more specific..

I have "normal" led strips from RCtimer. Not WS281 type.
So I have maby bought something that wont work as I thought..

Is it possible to connect to revo port that supports led anyway?
There is only two funktions I would like to have.
Led ON/OFF and low batt warning.

I checked the wiki. But only talks about WS type leds.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:51:06 pm »
Not sure anyone reads this.
But anyway.
Have done basic setup. generic uavquad profile.
3 out of 4 engines was wired wrong.. And I managed to rewire the one that was spinning correct..
Dont work to late at night.. lol

Have a problem with setting up the flightmode switch. Cant get the atomatick transmitter wizard to work any swith.
Its working in the transmitter. But cant seem to get the FC to find it.
Probably something simple im missing. But, manually setting it dosent work either.

Anyone have ideas of what im missing?

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 01:18:46 am »
Another queston.
Cant seem to find where to change fc direction i the software?
Har to mount it 180. eg backwards.
Somehow i cant fill in the fields where you state lat and long. so one can continue calibration

jbarchuk

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 01:40:47 am »

It's in the Attitude screen. There're only two items in that screen attitude and level calibration.

The 180 yaw is easy but if you ever need help with other rotations there's a chart in the wiki that tells exactly how to do it.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 01:48:27 am »

It's in the Attitude screen. There're only two items in that screen attitude and level calibration.

The 180 yaw is easy but if you ever need help with other rotations there's a chart in the wiki that tells exactly how to do it.
For some reason it dosent work. Dont want to set homelocation so I can calbrate the other sensors.
Have to check wiki if im missing something

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 02:02:05 am »
I kept having to rotate it save, then check it in the virtual horizon screen the go back and re-calibrate level and save again. If that doesn't do it maybe add a power cycle after the level calibration. I have a board that was rotated 90 and isn't flat in roll or pitch. So it was a little trial and error for me to figure it out so it would stay that way.  It's was a combo of changinging its orientation,saving checking it for level and proper movement in GCS then going back and recalibrating its zero and saving again. That's probably the "round about, added steps for no reason" way. But it eventually worked and now if I re run the wizard it takes all of an extra 2min to do. Good luck.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 04:32:27 pm »
TY!
It did help!  :)
But, if i do a new calibration and saves. Im back. But at least I know how to get it back...

Having ongoing problems with sensors calibration. I can not manually type my lat/long.
Seems that I have to get it from flightdata tab. But, I can not get a map in to the right
side.. Not installed gps. But it must for sure be able to do this manually??

Getting a bit frustrated..

jbarchuk

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 12:45:01 am »
Getting a bit frustrated..
Frustrated? Relax. You wanna see frustrated, this thread is a pretty quick read. Then come back here and try again and see how easy you've got it. :) :) https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=1094.0