jtrout19

Osd options
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:32:28 am »
Since I have to replace my OSD I figured I would explore my option a bit more. What other OSD's will interface and receive data from the Revo? The minim was nice but i was wanting something a bit more like the huds on fighter jets. I just like the design better. Artificial horizon with alt on one side and air spedd on another plus the option to add other data.. Any recommendations?

hwh

Re: Osd options
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:28:49 pm »
I agree with you that I'd prefer a different look in an osd but I don't know of any other ones that work.  The problem lies in the need to read data from the flight controller.  That requires the firmware in the osd to be modified to read the lp uavtalk protocol and kept in sync with changes in the FC firmware.   f5soh keeps the copy for the minimosd that you download from the lp wiki in sync.

In the three or four months I've been hanging out in these forums i can't think of any other osd mentioned.  I don't know if you have the full size (rectangular) or micro (about 5/8" square) version but almost everyone uses one or the other.  Electrically they're the same, it was just re-laid out to be smaller.

jtrout19

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:32:37 pm »
I have the smaller square on which is what i will be getting again. I am still at a loss as to why a voltage drop below 5 volts woulds cause the one i have not to work. I have it connect to my 5v bec. Maybe i need to have the FC providing the power by itself and not two power sources. I just though of that.

hwh

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 03:34:28 am »
Low voltage shouldn't kill it but you can never tell with electronics, particularly Chinese made ones  ::)

I'd guess that it isn't the hardware that died but the firmware, including the boot loader if you can't get it to load the firmware anymore.  Even if you had an Atmel programmer to check or replace the boot loader the board doesn't have the connector to hook it up.  And for the small amount they cost it's not worth trying to tack wires onto the chip to hook up to.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:32:36 am »
Since I have to replace my OSD I figured I would explore my option a bit more. What other OSD's will interface and receive data from the Revo? The minim was nice but i was wanting something a bit more like the huds on fighter jets. I just like the design better. Artificial horizon with alt on one side and air spedd on another plus the option to add other data.. Any recommendations?

I have no answer to that question, but I know what I want from a Revo onboard OSD feature:

Imagine as the background yours FPV camera image? Nice !

jtrout19

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:57:30 am »
Yes that is it. That would be the perfect example of what I would love for my OSD to look like. Wish I knew how to code and stuff I would just make it myself. Yes they are cheap I bought mine off of amazon. I bought one that said it was specifically for the CC3D. I had to end up flashing it anyway so this time I purchased one off of another vendor that says it is setup for the NAZE32. I got it for like 5 bucks less. The low voltage caused alot of things included knocking something off with the FC. Once I got a fresh battery in it. The thing would only spin one motor the other two just wanted to jitter. So, I had to go back through the setup again and problem solved.