Heavy quad yaw overshoots
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:53:41 am »
I have a 320mm quad I built for aerial video using cc3d and librepilot. due to the gimbal being in the front, (like tbs discovery) I had to stick the battery all the way in the back. this makes the rotational momentum in the yaw axis quite high. so whenever I stop after a yaw, it overshoot then corrects itself. which pid value should I change to hopefully dial it out?

jbarchuk

Re: Heavy quad yaw overshoots
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 05:27:07 pm »
I'm pretty much a novice at tuning so if anyone thinks my interpretation is wrong then don't hesitate to say so.

I *think* what worked for mine was Attitude Stabilization. At least I assume you're in Attitude mode for AP. I cut all the values in half. If that feels too soft/unresponsive then turn them back up a little at a time.

If in Rate mode then cut Yaw Pids in half and again if too soft turn them back up gradually.

Cruise Control will also help to maintain altitude while turning.

Re: Heavy quad yaw overshoots
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:10:38 pm »
Thanks jbarchuk, I'll give that a try.  The park will filled with people on Sunday due to Easter so I couldn't try it.  Now my APM board is arriving, I might not get to test this at all now. lol.  The CC3D board will be backup for APM.