To those smarter than I
« on: April 17, 2016, 10:08:33 pm »
what is the most flight time one can get? i live in texas and have had several big time cattle ranchers come to me wanting a multirotor to use for checking their cattle and such. I was thinking a 450m or larger with high capacity mah with low shed rate. But i have only built smaller racing quads with very short flight times such as 7-10 minutes. i need to make these last at least 30minutes due to the size of the ranches. And at least a mile range with full fpv and gps because these guys arent pilots at all. but are determined. Is this possible? all it needs to carry is its self and the fpv equip. i would be greatful for some advice and expertise on this subject. i would love to actually make some money for change. Im usually on the spending end. And i really love just working on the small aircrafts. thanks in advance.
ωʉɱ ∞

Re: To those smarter than I
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:28:45 pm »
The way I understand this, your best bet would be to go for large diameter low pitch propellers spun by low kv motors and a decently big battery and flight times over 20min aren't unheard of.
Removing every gram that isn't required to fly the thing and cutting down on air resistance should also help a bunch.

But for long flights I'd probably be looking at a flying wing or similar.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:25:38 pm »
You can also link batteries together to combine their mah and get longer flights
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:27:58 am »
good stuff thanks guys.. yes sir if you wire batteries in series you get more voltage and wiring in parallel get more mah but maintains voltage. on my racers i usually run 2200mah. but i found a 5000 mah thats aroud the same size. i might have gain 3 minutes ate the most. the 2200 are around 8 minutes the 5000 got like 12. to many math variables with dc power and how you consume it. as the motors are using the dc voltage as if it were ac. i was thinking of a low voltage relay that you could hook multiple batteries to to shed down one at a time. because brushless motors seem to be very hungry for voltage. seems like the more you give them the faster they eat it. Im guessing 20 is probably about the standard max for battery power crafts. now i just tried out some one shot 125 for the first time and i cant figure it out. maybe my rx doesnt support it idk. there is not power wire on the escs to the rx or fc and i cant seem to find the info i need or schematics. seems like i spend  200% more time working on these things than  flying them. like a race car or something. got to work on them before and after i fly them lol. thamks again guys
ωʉɱ ∞

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:56:53 am »
...brushless motors seem to be very hungry for voltage. seems like the more you give them the faster they eat it...

Yes, it's called Ohms law (Voltage = Current * Resistance) ;)

Think of it this way:
Current translates to torque and the more you give it the higher the torque. Because super conductive motor windings aren't yet a thing you get hear loses. So basically current is limited to how hot your motor can get.
Voltage determins how much current can be pushed trough the motor, but also determins how fast the motor can spin, so you can run really high voltage if you can limit the current.
Electrical power is a product of Voltage * Current. A good motor at it's sweet spot can convert over 80% of that power to mechanical power (Torque * Rotational Speed), that gets used up by the propeller to lift your aircraft. Also spinning propellers very fast isn't very efficient.

...i was thinking of a low voltage relay that you could hook multiple batteries to to shed down one at a time...

Or you could get a couple of identical fresh (same wear level and abuse history) batteries and wire them in parallel including the balance leads, so if one cell from one pack discharges a little bit faster the other takes over more, keeping them both at the same voltage.

There's also a catch about the battery size: Bigger battery weighs more, so motors will need to draw more current to lift it, which drains it faster and also moves the motor away from its peek efficiency sweet spot, thus possibly shortening your flight times.

...now i just tried out some one shot 125 for the first time and i cant figure it out. maybe my rx doesnt support it idk...

OneShot125 needs a compatible flight controller (all LP stuff supports OneShot125), Rx has nothing to do with it unless you are trying to combine a PWM receiver, CC3D controller and OneShot ESCs, in which case it's a limitation of the flight controller not the Rx.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 12:53:39 pm »
i seen what the prob was with the one shots lol it doesn provide power. so im down till i the 5v UBEC i ordered get here friday. I just get to impatient and im finding out that if i want one thing i have to buy serveral other things to make it work.. so i guess i will hurry up and wait.....over here chasing my tail around :-\  im dying over here lol
ωʉɱ ∞