dcruze

New Control Board Upgrade?
« on: May 12, 2016, 10:48:44 pm »
I have a Eachine  Racer 250 and I noticed that my Mini USB port is missing off of the controller card. I don't know how, but I guess it got knocked off in a crash.

So, it came with the CC3D controller card. If I have to replace the controller card should I put back the same one or is there a upgrade I should make at this time?

What about adding GPS or other upgrades?

Any thoughts or experience on this?

Thanks

hwh

Re: New Control Board Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 11:12:41 pm »
The hardware upgrade to what they call a "Revolution Mini" is fairly easy.  It has the same output connector as the eachine cc3d but reversed pin order.  You take the pins out of one connector on the cable and put them back in the reverse order.  Then it just plugs back together, no cutting wires.

I ran mine that way for a while using parts from another project while waiting for banggood to ship a replacement cc3d.  I wanted to keep the eachine stock so I switched back when the parts came in.

Once you do the switch to a revo type board you can add a GPS if you want.   If you cut a trace and run a couple of wires the tail light can even be made to flash the revo flight mode, arming status, etc.   It's actually a ws2811 led strip.

dcruze

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:33:47 pm »
Thanks, does adding a gps to itmake it easier to fly, being a newbie?

hwh

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:54:40 pm »
Thanks, does adding a gps to itmake it easier to fly, being a newbie?

Honestly, no.   The opposite, it's hard sometimes to get the gps and mag to work properly for flight modes.   But it does allow autonomous flight and gps assisted flight modes.   I wouldn't add gps until you're very comfortable with it without gps.  But you could upgrade to a revo now while you're replacing the flight controller anyway.   That way you have the option to do more in the future.  The cc3d limits what can be done.

nuggetz

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:12:16 pm »
I thought that the racer 250 had a cc3d with micro jst connector for the esc headers. The revo is diffferent so he would need to get new escs or splice things up.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

hwh

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:22:15 pm »
I thought that the racer 250 had a cc3d with micro jst connector for the esc headers. The revo is diffferent so he would need to get new escs or splice things up.

The Racer 250's cc3d does have JST SH connectors, exactly the same as the "Revolution Mini" but with the pins in the opposite order. Just as I posted above.

nuggetz

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:23:33 pm »
Oh revo mini. Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk