Fried my OP Revolution... Any hope???
« on: March 22, 2016, 06:06:40 pm »
I recently started building a 250 quad and decided to use the brand new OP Revolution board that I bought when they were first released as a beta. (somehow I never got around to installing it. ) Anyhow, I got it configured and it was performing quite nicely. Decided to add the a satellite RX, then Oplink, then the GPS. Did I mention that I was using opto ESC's? This meant adding voltage reducers... A 3.3V for the satellite, and a 5V for the GPS. Then of course I decided to add voltage monitoring... By the time I was done, I had quite a nice mess of wiring coming from the PDB. Everything worked fine!!

Decided to calibrate all the sensors so I took it all apart and did the calibrations...then I put it back together. Was trying to plug the microUSB into that small socket buried deep within the quad when I did a BooBoo :-\  A little spark and the magic smoke came out of my board.

Well, obviously it isn't working anymore... My question is, is there anyone or anyway to repair this? Is there a part that would be first to go and could possibly be replaced that might breath life into my board? When I plug the USB in, I get no LEDs and the smd's get hot real fast. Just kinda hoping that this board isn't destined for the trash...

lucas

Re: Fried my OP Revolution... Any hope???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:59:01 pm »
Do you see any components that are "fried"?Maybe those are replaceable. 

Can you share some close up pics?

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:22:03 pm »

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:36:02 pm »
Awesome..

Thanks so much. I will try to post some pictures this evening.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 12:21:35 am »
Here are the pictures of my non-functioning Revolution. Unfortunately, my macro lens is at the office, so I hope these pics will suffice. Any ideas on what part I may have smoked???

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 02:06:02 pm »
I don't see anything obvious (apart from the broken antenna connector)

You said some SMDs get hot. Which ones?

It could be just a busted VReg or something...

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 10:59:56 am »
Same as for CC3D I suspect its the voltage regulator chips that beak first in these situations, often not visible. You have to check them with a multimeter somehow. Im not a good enough electrician to know how but a friend of mine fixed and replaced it on one o my CC3D once.  :)

the small black thingie with 3 arms on one side and 2 on the other, there looks to be one on the top and two on the other side.