FrSky Taranis vs Turnigy with FrSky DJT
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:04:26 pm »
Hi guys!

I have started to think about my Spektrum replacement and this rises up a question. Does anyone uses Turnigy with FrSky DJT module? The thing is that buying a Turnigy or a FlySky of 9 series with a FrSky DJT will be twice cheaper then a Taranis. However there might be some disadvantages I am not aware of. Any suggestions or thoughts will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
-K.

hwh

Re: FrSky Taranis vs Turnigy with FrSky DJT
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:59:40 pm »
If you're talking about the Turnigy TGY9x transmitters I have two.  The second was free because of a problem with a switch on the first.  I replaced the switch and now have two.

I'm thinking of replacing them with a Taranus because the sticks are not exactly high quality.  The throttle one is most noticeable the min varies from -100 to -88 or so.  I could probably take them apart and get them to work reliably but I think I'd be happier with a better transmitter.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 05:15:33 am »
I love my Taranis... Best value for the money.  The RC link is the, or one of the, best stock out of the box. and you can put a Spektrum module in the back and use all the bind and flys.

I have never had a problem with mine....ever. You do have to open it up when you get it and take spring tension off the ratcheting throttle. But that takes ten min. Max.

And lastly the open source easy set up via PC through OPENTX. Makes model setup a breeze and that's how you can get any audio clip bound to any switch you want. You can also set up models entirely through the radio. The opentx program just makes it so easy. So many great features.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:01:26 am »
Thanks guys! That was the last drop for Taranis score! I think I have made my mind. The only thing left is to explain my wife why I need to buy another transmitter. Any suggestions or thoughts will be very much appreciated.  ;D
  ;D

Thanks!
-K.

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 01:51:25 pm »
Famous quote
Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for a permission

I have both Turnigy 9X and Taranis X9+. Taranis has more memory, voice feedback, OpenTX companion, more features fit into memory, SD-card slot for logging/models/graphics, USB connection either for flashing, PC connection or you can use it as a controller when flying simulator. Parts for Taranis are easy to order, and it's such a popular radio with open-source firmware so you can find lots of youtube movies how to set it up etc...

When it comes to design, it's plastic, with same cheap plastic gimbals as Turnigy (better is hard to say), for this price range you should not expect Jedi or Multiplex quality. It's still low-budget transmitter. New Horus should be better built http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=144 but that's way higher price range and no open-source OpenTX firmware which is a bummer. Also for Jeti it seems you need to pay for every extra functionality and receivers are big.

Taranis is not a beauty when it comes to look (though you can order cases with different patterns), but has been and still is the best price to features transmitter.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 01:54:01 pm »
Tell her it's the last one you will need to buy. It will be the truth, as long as you don't drop it. Lol
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS