Precautions For Quadcopter Batteries in Low Temperature
« on: November 29, 2016, 04:51:50 am »
Most of the quadcopters are powered by lipo batteries, a low temperature environment will greatly decrease the performance of a lipo battery. When exposed to a temperature below 15°C, the chemically reactive substance in the battery obviously decreases as well as the discharging ability influenced by the increase of its internal resistance, and the voltage drop accelerated when the battery's discharging. There are two risks if the cell drops below 3.0V.

1. The power system for the aircraft cannot provide enough thrust to maintain its flight.

2. The battery will automatically shutdown to avoid over-discharging.

These risks are very common to see, however there is still no a perfect way to solve the problem. Intelligent devices like smart phones or tablet computers will also auto shun down when staying in a low temperature.

Then we have to talk about the flight theory of the lipo-based quadcopters. For the heavier quadcopter, they need stronger current to provide enough thrust. Battery will draw a continuous high current to boost the quadcopter to a maneuvering flight when flying in a full throttle. In a plateau region, the quadcopter calls for higher motor speed and a higher current of the battery to maintain a regular flight in the thin air and low air pressure. For all the situations mentioned, the battery voltage drop gets even worse because of a low temperature in winter. More seriously, the battery even auto shuts down result in a quadcopter crash because of a low battery voltage.

Therefore, Gens ace & Tattu suggested to take these steps for battery usage precaution in winter.

1.Make sure the battery is fully-charged and staying in a high voltage status before you fly with your quadcopter.

2. Preheat your battery over 25°C, which will decrease the internal resistance of the battery. A battery preheater is strongly recommended for preheating your battery.

3. Hovering the quadcopter for about 1 minute after taking off, this will also help the battery to get preheated and decrease the internal resistance.

We must pay more attention to a safety flight in winter for a higher risks of quadcopter crash. Getting your quadcopter crash will not only spend you a lot of money for a repair but even it may hurt the people.

jtrout19

Re: Precautions For Quadcopter Batteries in Low Temperature
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:49:54 am »
I always keep my batteries in the warmth before flying. Even reagular Lead Acid batteries have a harder time producing amps when cold. I also use lower c rated batteries on my large quad in the winter. They get warm from just using them so now worrie there. But regardless Its a good Idea to keep batteries warm if flying in the winter. I agree with that!

jdl

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:49:16 am »
You can also wrap the batteries in some good heat insulation. Looks ugly but is highly efficient ;) The only concern may be possible overheating of the battery in case of highly aggressive flying.

jtrout19

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:39:27 pm »
I dont think he is spamming not everyone is going to use all those forums. He wanted to get his message to as many people as he could. Now if he was to post it in every section of this particular forum then ok stop spamming. Just my opinion though i dont think that was his purpose.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:57:15 pm »
When i go flying with my car...hmm that sounds weird...but you know what i mean...i put the lipos onto the warm engine, that works great ;-)
Hardware: F450 Frame--Revolution Board--EMax 2213-935kv--BullTec 30A Opto--5000mAh 3S 30C LiPo--NEO M8N GPS+MAG--Fr Sky Taranis Plus + OPLink Mini
Addon: sj5000x + two axis gimbal + minimosd + eachine VT + easycap
Software: Black Rhino, LP2GO

hwh

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:04:19 pm »
I dont think he is spamming not everyone is going to use all those forums. He wanted to get his message to as many people as he could. Now if he was to post it in every section of this particular forum then ok stop spamming. Just my opinion though i dont think that was his purpose.
You don't think the fact that he's posting under different names on other forums is a clue?  Jimmy is called Sarah on one.  He had a sex change operation in the few minutes between posts.  :) 

Or the fact that this isn't the first time his company has done this?  This is the third or fourth time I know of that Tattu has done this.  And under different names and accounts each time.

It makes you wonder how bad their batteries are if they feel the need to have employees post under fake names instead of being honest and posting under the company name.

Most of the posts wouldn't be objectionable if they were honestly attributed to the company instead of pretending they're from some unrelated user.

jtrout19

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 10:11:51 pm »
I didnt know the whole story obviously......thanks for clearing that up, and in that case

Hey dude stop spamming!!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 04:51:10 am »
You don't think the fact that he's posting under different names on other forums is a clue?  Jimmy is called Sarah on one.  He had a sex change operation in the few minutes between posts.  :) 

Or the fact that this isn't the first time his company has done this?  This is the third or fourth time I know of that Tattu has done this.  And under different names and accounts each time.

It makes you wonder how bad their batteries are if they feel the need to have employees post under fake names instead of being honest and posting under the company name.

Most of the posts wouldn't be objectionable if they were honestly attributed to the company instead of pretending they're from some unrelated user.

It was not me under different names,we have many colleagues,spread the words,you can see here,doesn't mean other person can not see in other forums,post in different forums with the same article,doesn't mean it is spam.

If you really know Tattu,you would know,they have over 2000 workers in China,and big office in Germany and America,and they are the leading battery brand in many areas,do your researches before you make conclusion .

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 05:04:47 am »

Are you considering yourself the police of the forums? As long as there is tattu post, there is your post against it,what did they do to earn such honour to get your attention? Have you really used their brand? If not ,ask around, or search to see how people real think of them. Is it so wrong to spread things that newbies might not know? Come back to against me while you really tried their battery.

hwh

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 05:19:34 am »
Actually, I am the police of the forums, one of the moderators.   So is the other person who asked you to stop spamming.  :)

As for the quality of the batteries, Tattu's own management must not believe that the batteries are any good.  If they did they wouldn't feel that they have to create fake users on forums.  They'd have you and the others posting honestly as representatives of the company.  If you had made the same post under the company name or saying you were their representative no one would have objected.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:36:39 am by hwh »