CC3D Next generation with OSD onboard !
« on: March 15, 2016, 03:26:28 pm »
A few days ago I had a vision: I was fooling around on flying field with my Diatone Blade 250 FPV ready, using a tablet as a ground monitor, running LibrePilot GCS and there was a pip image of my FPV on Flight Data tab, received by OP Link . Of course it was a Revo FC flying.

But it was a dream. Back to reality I was searching for an OSD module that would match with a Revo (that I will buy yet) and this video comes in my sight:

Wow !

I took some time to breath normally and pay attention what was going on. Is it possible ? I think it is...

Ok, I guess OSGEarth integration with GCS is another project, nothing to have with OSD , but if someone could put as background image of GCS Flight Data an alive image from FPV camera my dream would become true. And I would pay for that !!

Sweet dreams!

cato

Re: CC3D Next generation with OSD onboard !
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 06:00:32 pm »
I think the problem would be signal type and data rate. The telemetry is using a digital serial protocol at sth like 57600 baud, while the video cameras are transmitting an analog signal. The oplink modem does a pretty nice job on transmitting telemetry, but I think it is loads too slow for transmitting video (my guess is that it needs about 10-15 seconds to transmit one complete data set already).

More, converting video to digital would need loads of cpu power and the resulting transmission would freeze or simply go black on errors instead of a few white stripes. So I don't see a chance for oplink to transmit video.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

hwh

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 06:12:49 pm »
Cato is correct, the oplink could never handle the data rates necessary for even still images let alone video.  It's essentially a 57600 baud modem.

It might be possible to use a small usb video digitizer to digitize the analog fpv video and replace the background in that flight display with the video.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:19:32 pm »
Ok, I know that technically is hard to make it real, but this concept of an onboard OSD for a CC3D "next generation" is on the table. Cheers!

aa8mc

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:22:51 am »
You could potentially hack something together with a video capture card connected to a 5.8gHz video feed.  The embedded video might be a little taxing on the laptop/tablet CPU but otherwise not too bad.
F450 Quad Clone
Outrunner1000KV Motors
HobbyWing FlyFun 30A ESCs
1045 Props
Telemetry via OP Link
FlySky FS-i6 transmitter w/ 10 channel mod
Sparky2 Flight controller
HobbyAce UBLOX 6M GPS
Running LibrePilot next branch
MinimOSD
FlySight Spexman FPV Goggles
Floureon 5500mAh LiPos

brukutu

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 12:04:48 am »
There really should be no reason why LP should not allow to replace the background with a video feed of any sort.
One could very easily use a USB video input card to get a feed from the fpv video receiver (rca feed).

It really would require minimalistic work to get this working. Any thoughts ?

hwh

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 01:00:22 am »
It really would require minimalistic work to get this working. Any thoughts ?

Thoughts... my first thought is that you're not a programmer or you wouldn't say that.  :)   I've been a programmer for 45 years and while I like the idea of the fpv video displayed there I'm not willing to dedicate all my free time for the next six months or more to adding that one feature.

It's actually a lot of work.  Remember, whatever you write has to compile and run on Windows, Linux, and OS-X.  And since you'd be dealing with a video capture device that would get complicated quickly.

If you are a programmer (or have a friend who is that you can talk into it  ;D ) the instructions for setting up a development environment, getting the current source code, and compiling it are in the wiki at https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Developer+Manual

Make it work and submit it back to the project.