LeventD

Can I simulate RC controller inputs from the GCS?
« on: November 29, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »
Hi! I have a cc3d flight controller for my drone project. I would like to use the stabilization of the board and showcase a stable hovering without an RC transmitter while it is connected to GCS or, preferably, after it's disconnected with some delay. Can I generate and modify input  signals from the board, if so how? Thanks!

hwh

Re: Can I simulate RC controller inputs from the GCS?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:15:23 am »
You can control it while it's connected to the GCS. The wiki article https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Control+vehicle+using+joystick talks about using an actual joystick but the on screen image of RC transmitter joysticks it shows can also be moved with a mouse (or touchscreen) and actually works.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 04:33:39 am »
It will drift away the same way a car will sooner or later drift off the road if you don't keep control of it.

It sounds like what you want is a GPS position hold which will hold it there, even in the wind.  CC3D cannot do that with LP firmware.  You need a Revo, Nano, or Sparky2 FC.

LeventD

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 06:02:28 pm »
Thanks for the answers. I will use the board as a testbed for a small frame that will be used indoor environments.  Currently I'm more interested in the boards ability to keep the angles stable as possible rather than having a closed loop position control. It will be the later concern of my project with added onboard sensors.

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:37:09 pm »
Thanks for the answers. I will use the board as a testbed for a small frame that will be used indoor environments.

Indoor navigation independent of GPS would be a really nice thing to have in LP and that is a really interesting topic, though CC3D has quite limited RAM and Revo or Sparky 2 might be more suitable as platform for that type of experimentation.

LeventD

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:17:03 pm »

Thanks for the answers. I will use the board as a testbed for a small frame that will be used indoor environments.

Indoor navigation independent of GPS would be a really nice thing to have in LP and that is a really interesting topic, though CC3D has quite limited RAM and Revo or Sparky 2 might be more suitable as platform for that type of experimentation.

I'm a beginner at the hardware stuff. I'm more of a control guy, but i need to test out the frame first, so that I can go on implementing stuff. I found the board on my local supplier and bought it without giving much thought, but for the time being i guess it would do.

Another thing i would like to ask is that I'm using coreless motors which are using a basic transistor circuits for the speed control. However, in the GCS it seems that I need a compatible esc for the output. I need clear PWM signals from the output pins to be connected to the transistors. Is there a way I can get around it?

LeventD

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:35 pm »
Thanks again for helpful answers. I'm aware that I'm asking too many questions at only one blogpost, but i just have one more :).

The GCS controller does weird twitching moves and when i move the virtual sticks around with mouse cursor they automatically center themselves, and i can't make them stay at the position i want. I checked the settings but i couldn't see the settings for it.

hwh

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 10:24:46 pm »
As long as I check GCS control to activate them they stay where I put them.

LeventD

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 01:35:33 pm »
I figured the problem out. It was due to the compatibility issue with the windows 10. I used compatibility for windows 7, it works now.