dj207

Looking for Advice Libre Pilot vs Cleanflight CC3D
« on: August 28, 2016, 04:18:14 am »
Hello All,
Ive been flying Open Pilot Version 15.02.2 and have been encouraged by a number of members in my group to use Cleanflight.  I have always liked OpenPilot UI and see that Libre Pilot has continued the project.  Any thoughts from the community on the best firmware to run on a cc3d?

Thank you!

-Dave

Mateusz

Re: Looking for Advice Libre Pilot vs Cleanflight CC3D
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:55:43 am »
Try both I guess. Everyones opinion might be biased. Same applies to CF users. If you really want to know such opinion, I think CF is much simpler code that can run on more hardware. On another hand it's single loop design makes it more difficult to add new features. LP on another hand runs true RTOS with events instead. I haven't seen fair comparison yet, it's been always someone having flaky PIDs on one side or another. Another difference is that LP uses dual-loop PID controller, and CF single. But in rate mode you bypass outer loop, so it's all single loop. I think it's very hard to compare pears with apples, just try what suits you best. Finally, even if you make a methodological error while comparing (many people do) I would still go for the software that allows you to tune your quad in a way you want it. It's your quad, your project. Own it, don't get owned by it :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:10:51 am by Mateusz »

dj207

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:19:09 am »
Thank you.. is it worth updating my open flight version to lp? if so do I need to reconfigure?

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:52:53 am »
Software is developed and changes every week, so for testing I always erase all settings before flashing new firmware. I think it's a good practice and that way always saved me time. Even if it was not necessary to erase I always do it.
LP compared to OP is now a completely different firmware. It's not only bug fixes but also new features and code optimizations. Lots of people fly development "next" branch, testing it before next release.

If it was me, I would definitly upgrade to LP, all my quads I fly "next" development branch. However, if you prefer something more stable, go for LP released version. Be aware though, that LP does not offer OP firmware, so unless you have OpenPilot installed, there will be no way of going back using LP. I also don't know where to download OpenPilot software, since their website is down.