New user's guide to Tricopter PID settings on LibrePilot?
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:36:54 am »
Real newbie to LibrePilot here. I bought a used tricopter, set up the CC3D board using the default configuration and manged to get the bird in the air. I am running Stability mode and noticed that the tail rotor jitters from side to side as it attempts to correct. I was told by another member of our RC club that I need a higher PID setting.

Am I correct in assuming that I need a free channel on my Rx in order to be able to update PID settings?  ???

I am so new to this that I feel pretty lost. Is there a step by step online tutorial on editing up the PID modes I can go to?

hwh

Re: New user's guide to Tricopter PID settings on LibrePilot?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 02:52:40 am »
Welcome to LibrePilot.

You do need a free channel to tune the PIDs while flying, the wiki article https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/TxPID talks about it.  It shows using two channels at once I think but you can do one at a time.

You can also just try changing the setting a little through GCS, fly and see if it's better or worse, land, and then adjust again based on what you learned from the flight.  Slower to do but it doesn't require a channel to send the tuning through.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:40:54 pm »
Thanks for the link. That does answer some of the questions. But I would like a real entry level tutorial on how to use the pid editor WITHOUT needing to rely on the transmitter. My Spektrum DX6I does not have a pot to use

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 04:05:51 pm »
This might be useful

Options are

LP uses dual loop controller https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Attitude+Setup
So you tune Rate inner loop while flying in Attitude, and you don't touch outer-loop, first P, while other are zero, then I, then D, like in youtube movie explained.

Hope that helps.